General Information About Tbilisi
Location: Hotel RADISSON BLU IVERIA
Rose revolution square 1, 0108 Tbilisi, Georgia
Tbilisi is located in eastern Georgia, it extends to 200 square km., with a population of 1,225,000. Tbilisi is located on both sides of the Kura River, which is its main hydrological artery. Tbilisi - the capital of the country, has always been the economic, political, cultural and strategic center of Georgia.
Climate of Tbilisi varies from humid subtropical to relatively temperate continental. The average annual temperature is 12-13 degrees Celsius. January is the coldest month and the hottest month is July. The average temperature of July is 24 degrees, and the maximum is slightly higher than 40 degrees. The best time to visit the country is during the summer months.
In Tbilisi, two fortresses along the both sides of the river are looking at each other. They are Metekhi and Narikala. Even the smallest stone here can tell you about the heroic history of the city.
Tbilisi - the capital of Georgia, one of the oldest cities in the world. It is impossible not to fall in love with this beautiful city at a glance. It harmoniously combines past and present. Next to the streets, equipped in European style with modern buildings and beautiful shops, there are narrow ones in eastern style.
The city has a well-known legend associated with its creation. In the past, on its place was a dense forest, where King Vakhtang was hunting. Once king`s falcon pursued a pheasant. Shortly thereafter, the king found them cooked in the sulfur springs. At this point, the king ordered to build a new city - Tbilisi. Every Georgian knows this legend. The name is mentioned not only in legends, but also in historical documents. Annals "Kartlis Tskhovreba" say that Vakhtang began to build, while his son, Dachi finished what his father had started. Soon, Tbilisi became the residence of the Georgian kings. The choice of the King was rewarded, thanks to the favorable geographical location the city began to grow and evolve.
The country is located in the heart of the Caucasus between Europe and Asia. Due to its favorable location, the invaders were always interested in Georgia. Tbilisi has experienced 40 destructive invasions, however, the city has never bowed before the conquerors and each time it rose from the ashes.
Venue of the Congress was not chosen by chance. This event will allow you to get acquainted with the latest achievements in the field of medicine and to spend time in one of the most ancient and beautiful cities and enjoy the real Caucasian hospitality.
Old fortress wall
In Baratashvili street, there are well preserved and partially restored fragments of an old fortress wall with towers. On the wall there is a cast iron plate with the inscription: “This defensive wall of ancient Tbilisi was revealed in 1977″. It began from the city’s citadel (Narikala), passed through Sololaki range, descended along the slope and continued in the direction of the modern streets: Dadiani, Pushkin and Baratashvili, ended at the Mktvari (Kura) River. There used to be Digomi Gates and Mukhrantubani region in this place.
Konka (horsecar) appeared in Tbilisi 1883. In 1904 it was replaced by a tram, but people could not part with it. And it’s standing as a cafe in the street.
The sculpture Composition ”Berikaoba” is located on the Baratashvili street. Berikaoba is Georgian national free celebration holiday not restricted in time and space. It is Georgian folk improvising mask Theatre performed in the streets.
Sculpture of a janitor
On the same site there is a sculpture of a janitor performed in accordance with a picture of a well known Georgian artist Niko Pirosmani.
Anchiskhati basilica and its bell tower (6th century), the oldest one in the city, erected in the times of the heir of Vakhtang Gorgasali – Dachi Ujarmeli. Due to its venerable age and influence of the Palestinian architecture this church resembles a three-nave basilica. Its present name was given to the church in the 17th century. “Anchiskhati” originates from Georgian words “anchis” (from Anchi) and “khati’ (icon). The icon of Savior decorated by a famous goldsmith Beka Opizari, who lived in the times of Queen Tamara, was kept in an ancient Georgian town Anchi.
Erekle II Square
In 1638 on the square between Sioni and Anchiskhati churches the king Rostom built a palace and this square was named Royal Square (during Aga-Mahomet-Khan invasion in 1795 the palace was fully destroyed). The local citizens gathered together and discussed news there. That is why this place was called “Salakbo” (meaning “chattering”).
One of the famous memorials in the old city – Sioni Church in honour of Virgin Assumption or just Sioni. The street is correspondingly called Sioni, where you can get via Erekle the Second street. It is called so in honour of Jerusalem Sioni. The primary construction is dated by the period of Vakhtang Gorgasali (446-499) and was completed in the seventh century. During the centuries Sioni was exposed to destruction and suffered numerous times. In 1226 Djelal-Ed-Din with a huge army invaded Georgia and occupied Tbilisi. Shah ordered to take off the dome of Sioni Cathedral and put his tent instead of it on the top, to see a burning city and tortures of Christians who didn’t disgraced holly icons. Then a lot of people were beheaded and thrown to the Mtkvari River. One hundred thousand Georgian martyrs were executed in this way. A terrible earthquake followed and the tent fell down from the top of the cathedral. In the cathedral Saint Nino’s sacred rood made from two peaces of vine fixed with each other with enlightener’s hair is kept.
Bambis Rigi and Chradin St.
In the feudal town along Sioni and Erekle streets there was Rastabazar. “Rastabazar” is a Persian word, which means “a line of stalls and workshops arranged in one row”. At the beginning of the 20th century a trading row was built there named Mantashev Rows (Alexander Mantashev (1842 – 1911) was an oil magnate, industrialist, financier and philanthropist). The trading row consists of two houses in the style of “modern”. The first one borders on the Museum of the History of Tbilisi, and the second one divides this area into Chardin street and Bambis Rigi (Cotton Row). Bambis Rigi is one of the pedestrians and historical street of ancient Tbilisi. Still one can see Mantashev Rows, Mantashev’s house and his family coat of arms.
To the right of Bambis Rigi there is Chardin street. Chardin Street is very narrow and short, it is named after a French explorer Jan Chardin, who visited Tbilisi in 1863. That time the street was called “Dark Row”, because it was crowded with shops and workshops. Chardin St., Bambis Rigi and Erekle II St. are a great way to wander around the local art galleries and souvenir shops with a chance to refuel in one of the area’s many cafes.
From Chardin street we can get to Gorgasali square. The square was located in front of the fortress. That is why its original name was “Tsikhismoedani”, i.e. Fortress Square. Persians possessed the fortress for a long time. The people gave the conquerors of a different faith the common name “tatars”. Due to that fact the square was renamed into Tatar Maidan, sometimes it was called Sheitan-bazar. It was the main trading square in Tbilisi. One could buy practically everything there: food stuffs, drinks, gold and silver items.
Where we can get from Gorgasali Square to the street of the same name and it is an area of functioning sulfur baths, from which the constru-ction of the Georgian capital practically began. According to the legend, sulfur springs were discovered by the Georgian king Vakhtang Gorgasali during hunting. The springs flew out of Tabor mountain. The quarter itself has several names. At first it got the name of Tbilisi, as the city is called now. And in reality, the city arose from it. In the 17th century a tribe of seids got there from Persia and since then this region was called Seid-abad (“seid-abad” means “a settlement of seids”). Later, at the beginning of the 18th century the quarter got the name of Kharpukhi, which means “a cold”. According to the legend, one of the fugitives, having caught a cold, touched a stone near Bath Gates with his nose and after that his cold disappeared. The citizens of whole town began pilgrimage there to cure from colds. In fact, Kharpukhi is not only Bath Quarter, but the whole area between Seid-abad and Ortachala, a village of the same name at the slopes of the mountain Tabor. Soon this area got the name of Abanotubani. On the whole, the bath quarter consists of two streets: to the right – Botanical and to the left – Grishashvili.
Tbilisi botanical garden
Behind the mosque spreads Tbilisi Botanical Garden for many square miles along. It is located in the gorge Tsavkis-Tskali, between Tabor and Sololaki Ranges and on their slopes. The Garden was established on the basis of the palace (“fortress”) garden existing since 1625. All the year round one can see there unusual beautiful plants, falls at the height of 40 meters and a small bridge across the river with wonderful flowers.
At the peak of Sololaki Range there are ruins of Narikala (“impregnable fortress”). Whenever you go around old Tbilisi – you can see it everywhere. The spot for fortress construction was chosen extremely successfully: the road along the riverbed Mtkvari is shot from all sides. Judging by such a location, it becomes clear, that Tbilisi was set up as a military base to control the road. The unique strategic position was taken into consideration by both local rulers and foreign conquerors, and both of them turned Narikala into their residence and headquarters. One can see here, that the fortress is on the top of the mountain and it “slides” down, to a smaller peak. The technique of the wall construction is astounding – powerful cobblestones resurveyed by huge bricks. Some places of its towers are intricately decorated with bricks. The wall merlons have not been preserved everywhere.
Statue of Mother Georgia
A promenade alley (Sololaki one), paved along the ridge in 1935, rests the ruins of Narikala fortress. There is a gigantic statue of Mother Georgia, Symbol of the na-tion’s legendary spirit. High on a pinecovered hill above Tbilisi, the 65 foot woman holds a bowl of wine in one hand and a sword in the other. Centuries of invasions and foreign occupation have taught Georgians that the best defense is treating all outsiders as guests, feeding them and flattering them with toasts until everyone gets along like old friends. The cup in her left hand is filled with Georgian wine for friends, but the sword in the right is a warning to enemies. It was designed as a symbol of the nation by Elguja Amashukeli and put up in 1958.